Tuesday, February 17, 2015

I'm about to end my Surface Pro 3 experiment

It took me about 20 years to migrate over to the Mac OS world from Windows.  Our first foray was an iMac, and it remains the workhorse of our household.  Later, we added a couple of iPads, some iPhones, some AppleTVs, and eventually I adopted a MacBook Air for work.  Although I continued to use an Android phone (and my wife joined me last year with her Samsung Galaxy S5), we were definitely a Koolaid-drinkin' household.

Then my kids got tablets through school.  Big, clunky convertible notebook tablets from Lenovo running Windows 8.  They love them and even call them by nicknames i.e., "My Lenny."  I was really interested in this and took some time to watch how they used them.  It was clear to me that the high-quality touchscreen experience coupled with laptop power was far superior to my iPad.  On several occasions, I would use a Lenovo tablet for a little while and then, later, attempt to tap the screen of my MacBook Air when I returned to my own computer.  It just made sense.

About 30 days ago, I decided to buy a Microsoft Surface Pro 3.  It is VERY cool.  Everything I'd hoped for, actually.  And I just decided to sell it on Ebay.

Turns out that I am not just used to the Mac OS experience; I like the Mac OS experience.  I keep trying to switch to the Surface and its more updated version of Office, its really impressive OneNote integration, and the overall brilliance of its design.  Within hours, however, I will retreat to my trusty MacBook and be happy about it.

Why doesn't Apple offer a touchscreen MacBook?  Beats me - it is WAY better and definitely the way to go.  When they do, I expect it will be awesome.  For now, however, the Surface Pro 3 and other Windows 8 native devices are better - for my kids and their generation.

Apple should be very, very worried.  Just not about me.


No comments: